Keeping up to date with children's use of technology is challenging for many adults. It can be hard to supervise what young people are viewing and creating online, who they are chatting to and texting, and what they are downloading. Many children have better technical skills than adults, however they still need advice and protection when using internet and mobile technologies.
The following links will help you to understand online safety issues and give practical advice on how to get the most out of the internet and other technologies and to use it positively and safely.
- www.childnet.com - internet safety and advice and links for young people, parents, teachers and other organisations.
- www.digizen.org - provides information about using social networking sites and advice on cyberbullying.
- www.childnet.com/sorted - a resource produced by young people for young people on internet safety. It also gives advice on how to protect computers from the dangers of viruses, phishing scams, spyware and Trojans.
- www.ceop.gov.uk - the child exploitation and online protection website gives information on how to stay safe online.
- www.iwf.org.uk - is the UK's hotline for reporting illegal online content.
- https://saferinternet.org.uk/guide-and-resource/resources-for-parents-and-carers - another useful site for parents and carers.